Top Tips for Downsizing
Moving to a smaller home can be stressful especially when you’ve collected a lifetime of memories and belongings. Today we are revisiting our downsizing topic but with much more detail and even more practical advice!
Focusing more on those at the retirement/empty nester stage of life we take you through our top tips to make your downsizing experience a smoother one.
We believe that EVERYONE is unique and every SITUATION is unique – what will work for you may not even work for your partner!
So get ready for an episode chock full of practical tips to get you set up and living your best new season of life!
In this episode we;
● Share that decluttering plays a key role in any downsizing process;
● Remind you that having a clear vision for your new home that you can come back to will help you when things get bumpy;
● Give suggestions for ways to honour sentimental items and preserve the memories;
● Suggest enlisting the help of professionals during the downsizing process;
● Emphasise having grace for yourself and those around you – packing up a life time of possessions is BIG!;
And so so so so much more…
List of questions to ask yourself when you are decluttering:
Does this item support my values and priorities?
Does this item fit in the vision that I have for my ideal space?
Does this item feel essential and meaningful to me?
Have I used it in the last year?
Do I really want to pack this item and find a new home for it, my new home?
If it broke, would I buy this item again?
Do I have a realistic plan to use this in the future?
Is this item really worth the space it is taking up in my home?
Could this item be of more use and helpful for another person?
Do I have a similar item that serves the same purpose?
Would it impact my daily life not to have this item?
Things mentioned in this episode and other helpful links:
● Downsizing into Freedom episode
● Apartment Living episode
● Downsizing episode
● Sea Change episode
● Sentimental Papers episode
● Sentimental Items episode
● Decluttering with Older Adults episode
● Estate Planning episode
● Momentum episode
Thank you to our newest Patreon member Alison Smith!! We really appreciare your support.
Thank you to Katharine 55 and HeatherFD for your podcast reviews!! Don’t forget you can leave us a review that helps others to find us.
● Our website The Art of Decluttering
● Become a Patron with Patreon – your monthly support makes a huge difference to us being able to produce
this podcast. Support can be as little as $1 a month!
● Follow us on Instagram
● Follow us on Facebook
● Join our Facebook group
● Leave a review on Apple Podcast
Thank you to our sound engineer, Jarred from Four4ty Studio Productions.